Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 14.8% in July for a total of 21,965 compared to 25,777 vehicles sold in July 2016. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 4.6% in the U.S. on sales of 171,051 vehicles compared to 179,213 sold in the first seven months of 2016, according to a news release.
Notable vehicle sales in July, according the release, include the BMW 4 Series, which increased 31.1% to 2,866 cars; the BMW 5 Series, which increased 12.4%t to 3,713 vehicles, and the BMW X5, which increased 8.8% to 2,986 vehicles.
“Sedans made something of a comeback in July even as the dog days and summer vacations had their effect on the pace of business,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, president and CEO, BMW of North America, in the release. “The new BMW 5 Series continues gaining as availability improves. The highly popular BMW X3 is now undergoing model changeover and we are looking forward to the market launch of the all-new model later this year.”
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported July sales of 26,363 vehicles, a decrease of 13.7% from the 30,551 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 5.5% on sales of 197,654 vehicles in the first seven months of 2017 compared to 209,131 in the same period in 2016.
Mini USA reported 4,398 automobiles sold in July, a decrease of 7.9% from the 4,774 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, Mini USA reported a total of 26,603 automobiles sold, a decrease of 11.1% from 29,918 automobiles sold in the first seven months of 2016.
Additional highlights from the BMW July sales report include:
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- BMW certified pre-owned sold 11,857 vehicles, a decrease of 0.2% from July 20
- Total BMW pre-owned sold 20,956 vehicles, a decrease of 7.8% from July 2016
- Total BMW pre-owned cars sold year-to-date were 140,607, a 15.7% increase from the first seven months of 2016.
Mini Pre-Owned Vehicles
- Mini certified pre-owned sold 1,015 vehicles, a decrease of 15.2% from July 2016.
- Total Mini pre-owned sold 2,656 vehicles in July 2017, an increase of 1% from July 2016.
- Total Mini pre-owned sales year-to-date were 18,308, a 12.4% increase from the first seven months of 2016.